Smoky Maple Jackfruit Rice Bowl Recipe
Looking for some meal inspiration for your Meatless Monday (Or, meatless everyday)? Mix it up with this simple, but mouth-watering plant-based recipe by Caroline Ginolfi (@plantbasedblonde), featuring some of our favorite things: avocado, jackfruit, and of course, rice!
Smoky Maple Jackfruit Rice Bowls
Smokey Maple Jackfruit:
2 20oz cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed well
1 tsp avocado oil, or vegetable broth if oil-free
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne, to taste
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vegetarian better than bullion + 3 tbsp warm water
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup vegan mayo
2 tablespoons Sriracha, more or less to taste
Squeeze of fresh lime juice, optional
Pinch of black pepper, optional
4 cups of cooked rice
1 cup red cabbage, thinly shaved
2 avocados, cubed
leafy greens, optional
green onion, optional
1. Cook rice according to package instructions.
2. While rice is cooking, prepare shredded cabbage, avocado and any other toppings you like. In a small bowl, whisk together the spicy mayo ingredients. In another small bowl stir together the dry spices. Once combined, whisk in maple syrup, vegetarian better than bullion and warm water.
3. Prepare the jackfruit by rinsing thoroughly, removing any seeds and cutting off the hard core.
4. Place the jackfruit on a large cutting board or in a bowl and shred with two forks.
5. Heat avocado oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in jackfruit and stir, allowing the jackfruit to get warm and tender. About 5 minutes. Add the spice paste and stir to thoroughly coat jackfruit. Cook another 5 minutes and then stir in the liquid smoke.
6. Serve over rice with shredded cabbage, avocado and a drizzle of sriracha mayo
Recipe & Photo courtesy of Caroline Ginolfi @plantbasedblonde