"If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs more of that" - Unknown
November 13th is World Kindness Day. We think every day should be World Kindness Day, but it's a wonderful reminder to stop and think about the ways in which we can show kindness to others. To lift someone's spirits and spread good vibes, it doesn't always have to be an elaborate plan or a grand gesture. A simple random act of kindness can go a long way to turn someone's day around.
Here are 21 ideas of random acts of kindness you can do to make someone's day:
- Cook a meal or do a load of laundry for a friend who just had a baby or is going through a difficult time.
- If you walk by a car with an expired parking meter, put a quarter in it.
- Email or write an old teacher who made a difference in your life.
- Compliment someone to their boss.
- Leave a nice server the biggest tip you can afford.
- Smile at someone on the street, just because.
- Let the person behind you in line at the store with one or two items go ahead of you.
- Write someone a letter, and mail it.
- When everyone around you is gossiping about someone, be the one to butt in with something nice.
- Give someone a book you think they'd like.
- Be the person who puts a tip in the tip jar at the coffeeshop.
- Give someone a hug.
- Donate your old eyeglasses so someone else can use them.
- When you're throwing something away on the street, pick up any litter around you and put that in the trash too.
- Stop to talk to a homeless person.
- Pay the toll for the person behind you.
- Adopt a rescue pet.
- Compliment someone in front of others.
- Be kind to the customer service representative.
- Offer to return a shopping cart to the store for someone loading groceries in their car.
- Call your mom.
Even doing just one thing on this list can make a much larger impact than you think. Amelia Earhart said:
"A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees."
Kindness is contagious. Spread the love!
BONUS: When you shop at Rice Love, you're doing a kindness for yourself, and for someone else. That's because for each item you purchase, we hand-deliver a kilo of rice to a family in need - here's how.
Want even more ideas? Try this Random Act of Kindness Generator to get inspired!